The short-term (6 months to a year)
- Establish a network of fishers and community interests involved with CSFs and related business models;
- Identify opportunities to expand or modify CSF models in existence to broaden their success in relation to economic, social, and ecological goals;
- Deliver information and expertise in areas of immediate need to CSFs including legal considerations and guidelines and best practices related to seafood safety (Resource Guide);
- Identify needs for fishing communities that will enable them to engage more effectively in CSFs;
- Identify the appropriate means for addressing these needs through outreach and extension activities; and
- Establish a network of people engaged in CSF organizational development in fishing communities that can explore an outreach/extension plan subsequent to the meeting.
Long-term (1+ years)
Long-term objectives of this meeting include improving and enhancing the role of CSFs nationally in achieving goals of supporting fishers, linking consumers with harvesters, supporting ecologically sustainable management, and maintaining fishing community health.